Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sarah Polley arrives at Senate committee hearings in bid to put an end to `censorship' legislation



Legislation allowing a federal cabinet minister to revoke tax credits for film and television productions deemed too racy is "censorship" and will rob Canadian actors of their place on the airwaves, actress Sarah Polley says.

Polley traded the big screen for a star appearance on Parliament Hill yesterday to plead with senators to oppose legislation she denounced as "dangerous and unacceptable."

The Oscar-nominated actress, director and screenwriter, known for her role on the TV series Road to Avonlea and for her award-winning directorial debut Away from Her, gave an impassioned plea for changes. She said the proposed law threatens not just the artistic quality of productions but also the industry's financial future.

"I think ultimately that's the cost of freedom of expression. We're all going to see things we don't like. I see movies that I don't like. I see things that offend me politically. I see things that offend me morally," Polley told a Senate committee.

No comments: